Friday, February 3, 2012

Interpersonal Communication is Meaning Creating

In chapter 1, the book outlines the various functions that interpersonal communication serves. One that I found really interesting is that interpersonal communication is "meaning creating" (p. 23). In this concept, it is explained that the more we communicate with one another, the more meaning we create and the stronger our relationship is with that person. Included is the quote, "bistari, bistari", that when translated, means "go slowly, go gradually". This reminds me of the story of the hare and the turtle, which has taught us the meaning of "slow and steady wins the race". Like the story of the hare and the turtle, I think "bistari, bistari" has a very similar meaning. The way I interpret it, the more time and effort we put into truly getting to know someone, the steadier the relationship will grow. In addition, the more meaningful the relationship will become, rather than rushing into a relationship with someone, which may cause one to misunderstand the other if the other acts unexpectedly. The more time we put into a relationship, the more we can explore the other person and really understand how they think, how they act, why they act that way, etc. When we are aware of this, it enables us to communicate with them more effectively.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there! I found this concept pretty interesting as well. I believe that this concept is true because I see it daily in my life. Most of the time I wonder how my friendships become strong and it is because we really invest in one another, trying to know and understand the person. I am actually seeing this right now with one of my friends. She and I were not that close and when we saw each other it was a simple hi or little side conversation. As time went by we became closer because we started to hang out and really have meaningful conversation, which helped us learned more about each other. Thankfully the slow pace happens because I am a very sarcastic person which is confuses a lot of people in the beginning on when I am serious or not. If relationships were rushed, a lot of people would not understand how to communicate with me and most likely I won’t have too much relationships with people that would last.
    Nice posts this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your post, I agree 100% that a relationship consisting of "bistari, bistari" is a much stronger and more meaningful relationship than a fast one. People get turned off if you move too fast, asking personal questions, and getting all in their face. I know I would just think of that person as annoying and just try to ignore them, but if someone gradually came up to me and just started a simple conversation with a hello or asked me about my day, it would be much nicer and less misunderstood. It takes time to build a strong and reliable relationship and the only way to do that is through "bistari, bistari," like you said Michelle DeLano!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aye Michelle, I think you is spot on wit dat interpretation dawg. I think it is always best to go into a relationship slowly if it is someone you care about or someone you really want to get to know. Like you said, rushing into a relationship with someone can cause problems because you do not understand them as well as you think. From experience I know that I have had problems with friends who treat me a certain way without knowing that it upsets me. You are absolutely correct that the more time you put into a relationship, the better result or friendship you will have.

    Reppin Bel Air Since "91

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also found that concept to be true and meaningful. I can’t count how many times I’ve heard my friends say they rushed into a relationship and it was weakened because of it. I think it is very important to slow down when trying to get to know someone. You’re less likely to show someone who you are or figure out who they truly are when you’re racing to become their friend. I’ve always thought that the journey to friendship is the best part of it. If anything, I would try to take more time in getting to know someone.

    ReplyDelete