Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Confirming to Others


When I disagree with others, it is usually not too difficult for me to confirm to them. I think with my close friends, it is easier to be more confirming since they know that even when I do not agree with them, it is out of their best interest. I think I do a good job providing recognition, acknowledgment and endorsement. I try to listen actively if it is a serious concern or if I know they need my support. I have a well reciprocated relationship with my close friends and we both have trust in one another. In addition, if I do not agree with a friend, I can distinguish between confirming others as people and endorsing their ideas and behavior. Even if my friends do something I do not agree with or may look down upon, they are still my friends and I still respect them as people and still give them recognition and acknowledgement.  Instead of snapping at them or commenting with phrases like, “you should know better”, I tell them that I understand it may be hard for them and just try to provide my support. When a situation does come up when I do something my friends do not agree with and they tell me things like, “I told you not to do this or that” , I know how disconfirming it feels to me that it makes me not want to be open with them again and hide certain things from them. Thus, I try to avoid this and give them tips and encourage them to do things differently, rather than sort of snapping at them and making them feel like they are in trouble.

1 comment:

  1. I admire that you don’t have a problem disagreeing with others. Maybe you can give me some pointers – I have the worst time disagreeing with my friends on issues that are at all sensitive. I will provide recognition and acknowledgement, but usually stop short of endorsement. I don’t think they ever notice (or even think about?) that I don’t fully support what they are saying. If my friends were to ask me for my opinion, I would give it openly, but I feel that people have a right to do whatever they want, and unless my opinion is asked, it’s not my place to disagree. I like what you say about giving your friends encouragement to try to do things differently; I could see that being a good way for me to practice being more opening to disagreement.

    ReplyDelete