Friday, March 23, 2012

A Disconfirming Experience


I often feel defensive and disconfirmed when I talk to one of my friends, Ella. She often acts like she is always superior, and as if she is always right. If I mention something, she will go on and add something and acts like she knows everything or has to have the last say. If she does not have the last say, she is not satisfied. On other occasions, she says things like, “shouldn’t you know this stuff?”. It is very belittling and makes me feel like I am not as smart as she is, or that she is so much better than me. She does not only act that way when we have a conversation about something, but even about people. Although she remembers a lot of details about people, it is annoying when she acts like she knows my own schedule better than I do. It has become quite annoying that it makes me not even want to respond to her a lot of times or ask her questions. 

1 comment:

  1. Michelle DeLano, thanks for the post. This idea from chapter eight was not clear the first time that i read it, but your explanation helped me understand it. I thought it was funny because I have a friend that i become defensive with all the time. He acts the same way and it is hard to have a conversation with someone who always wants to be right. my friend as well says things that makes me feel stupid sometimes which just pisses me off, and in turn makes the conversation more defensive. Overall, the explanation of your friend made me think about my friend which ignited a bunch of my own personal experiences and helped me with the term. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete