Sunday, March 11, 2012

Fallacies


The fallacy that I have noticed in my intrapersonal communication is an obsession with should. When I encounter a problem, I always think back on it and think of how I should have done something differently or maybe should have told the other person something I did not before. In addition, I also recognized that I also tell others, like my boyfriend, what he should have done if he did done something that upset me. When I do this, my boyfriend often gets defensive, one of the typical effects from this fallacy, and tells me I am also at fault because I should have done this or that differently in the first place. This is a not an effective way for us to overcome our challenges. To be more constructive, I will try to monitor and revise my communication among myself and with others and instead think of what I will do differently next time, or what I will do to fix the problem. This way, it will not be as messy when trying to solve a problem and instead, we will try to ensure we will both stick to what we agree to do differently in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Aye aye aye young homie, what you trippen on? I think that your "obsession" with should is very common. I always think what i could have done differently to improve. From football, to school, to work, to relationships, to everything in life i always think about what i should have done. I don't think that is a bad thing at all. Thinking about what you "should" have done shows that you are thinking about past mistakes and if that situation comes up again in life, you know exactly what you have to do to prevent that from happening again. Should have done turns into will do next time, and mistakes will not be repeated.

    #thinkingahead

    ReplyDelete