Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Development of a Friendship


My best friend, Stephanie, and I met through a mutual friend. We have had to make a lot of investments to get to where we are, and it took a while for us to reach the level of closeness we are at now. Investments we have gone through include all that have been mentioned in the chapter. We both invest time, effort, thought, and feeling into building our relationship. We usually try to spend our free time together, or try to do activities together, even if it means studying. We both put in the same amount of effort and try to ask each other when either of us are free to catch up. If we are unable to physically meet up, we often text one another or chat online. When one of us is feeling down, the other tries to be there to listen, sympathize with, or offer support. We are also both very thoughtful and like to surprise each other with little things like surprising each other with coffee and such. The way we communicate trust is by establishing what we want the other to keep confidential. Through time, we have seen that we are both able to honor the confidentiality and from there, became more comfortable with opening up to one another. The effort and disclosure has grown to become mutual and we are able to confide in one another openly, without fearing rejection or being judged. We know we can both count on each other if one is in need and are at the stabilized friendship stage, where we assume the friendship is ongoing and will continue seeing each other in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! It was pretty interesting reading through this entry of yours about you and your friend Stephanie. I believe that it takes a lot of investment into a relationship to build up a tight bond between the two parties. I have to admit that sometimes I do not put in as much effort or investment to certain people because I see them doing all the work and I selfishly think I do not need to. I know that it is bad because one day that person might not want to invest time and effort in me because they do not see me putting effort and time to them. But I also see that I put in a lot of investment towards some people that do not do the same. I am glad you guys are able to invest into each other equally to build a lasting relationship!. Good job this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle DeLano,

    I enjoyed reading your post on the relationship between you and your best friend, Stephanie. My female friend and I also met through a mutual friend and we too made a lot of investments to get to where we are. I consider her one, if not my only, best friend. We both put in the time and effort to try to hang out with one another and when we cannot, we text or webcam to catch up. We also do what you and Stephanie do as well. We offer each other our support and advice when it is asked verbally or non-verbally. I can feel the strong bond of friendship between you and Stephanie just from reading your post and I know you and your best friend will have a long lasting and strong friendship!

    ReplyDelete