Saturday, April 21, 2012

Online Deception

I think it is definitely unethical to represent oneself inaccurately. I agree with Gelder that deception is  much more common and likely online than in face-to-face interaction. Through the internet, it is especially easy to falsely represent ourselves and completely recreate ourselves with strangers and new friends we make through the internet. Since the person on the other end of the computer screen can not see us in person, it allows users to take advantage of this by using other people’s pictures and claiming they are ours, lying and telling them we are of a certain profession or go to a more prestigious school, etc. I personally do not like meeting people online and keep friends on my social networks, like Facebook, limited to people I personally know and have met face-to-face. If we are able to interact with a new person we just meet face-to-face, it is a lot easier to analyze them and read their body language and get a more realistic grasp of who they are.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this post, I basically said the same thing in mine. It's true when you mention the person is screen to face not face to face. And anybody can definitely create a whole new person online. When you mention face to face is a lot easier to analyze another person, I agree because you can see their face and tell if they're lying or even if they are good liars, you can see who the real person they are; instead of what they present themselves to be online. People online can pretend they're anybody in the world, and we will have no proof to recognize that just by a screen. People who do believe online people's personalities may be ignorant or naiive because it can turn into a dangerous manner like online predators, I've seen a lot of stories on TV about that. I'm not saying online dating/relationships are bad/deceitful/hopeless, we should just be aware of what other people post and how much of it we should actually believe.

    ReplyDelete