Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Friendship Page Advice Forum


After checking out the Friendship Page, I found a lot of creative poems and such, which I thought were interesting. However, the Advice Forum that we were supposed to explore was a mess. It had a lot of different topics, but when I clicked on a topic like “relationship advice” or “Problems with Friends”, there was a lot of different posts. A lot of the posts seemed like irrelevant spam, from an IPhone4S Game Development topic to Louis Vuitton. On the other hand, I found one on cross cultural relationships. The issues raised in the advice forum were really off topic and most were irrelevant to the friendship and the challenges associated with friendship, so the website did not really reflect the challenges to friendship discussed in the chapter. I would not recommend this form to others because it seems like it is not a very credible or educational source. I think the site is in need of a moderator to filter out the junk.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, this is very similar to my blog post. i tried to search around the friendship advice page but it was so hard to get around! all that was abound was spam. i didn't know how to even approach the blog post because I couldn't really find any advice or anything to relate back to the book due to the amount of spam on the website. I was very confused. The friendship website looked a bit outdated as well, as if the site design hadn't been updated since the 90s. I found the find-a-friend to be a bit creepy as well, especially with predators on the internet. At least the friendship quotes were inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought too when I first entered the forums. The main webpage was clean and I expected it to be clean in and out. However, my views changed when I checked each section to find junk threads and spam everywhere. One section had only 5 threads that were related to the section and 50 plus others were spam. I seriously needed to use the search function without getting myself swallowed up in spam. But other than that, the related topics weren't bad at all and would be useful, just that the forums itself needed some cleaning. I, too, wouldn't recommend it to others to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post, I went back to the website to double check and you are certainly correct that majority of the posts were spam! I would definitely not recommend this website to others since it contains one too many irrelevant topics and most of them do not belong to the groups of topics that people could choose from. I was really disappointed in this website and I actually thought that since the layout of the website was decent looking, then perhaps the contents will be as well. I know now that the phrase “don’t judge the book by its cover!” is correct. I think it would be so much better if the moderators took a better care of this website and keep a lock on the spamming issues! I could only relate to the topics of each section to the contents of the book and that was the most I got out of. I know for a fact that there are better Friendship websites out there and this one could definitely be put “under construction!”

    ReplyDelete